Wednesday, September 16, 2009

age monster tales

i am the ripe old age of 26. that's a little over a quarter century. from my experiences, that's an age that is stuck right between the youngens and the "other" ones. there's a fine line between what is acceptable for clothing and *ahem* jewelry. there's a fine line between acceptable behavior and the behavior expected from a responsible adult. 26ers are smashed right there when people are starting to have kids and it's ok because "she's not too young, she's married." that age when people start expecting you to have children because you're "getting closer to 30 and after 30, everything changes." that age when sometimes you'd rather stay home than go out - never an option before. i have this age monster that likes to creep up and scare me into reality every once in again. it's almost like that monster that hid in the closet when you were small. you kinda know it's there but it really doesn't scare you until you're face to face with it. yes. monsters even visit "adults."

side note: no, i don't feel that going to a book signing is a sign of adulthood or old age. i was totally reading nicholas sparks in high school. boo ya! don't hate because you're jealous. ha!

one, of many, tales of the age monster.....

i have always toyed with the idea and wanted to get a teeeee-tiny little jewel in the form of a nose ring. you've seen them? those uber-cool funky girls that have a little shine right there on their nose. nothing too over-the-top and almost so small you can't see them. i was SUPER temped to get one when i was on our random weekend beach escapade. i had doubts, so i talked myself out of it. curious as to how others viewed me {because i still feel 21 and like i can do whatever the heck i want} and asked my boss upon my return as to what he thought about such jewelry.

he said - M, don't try too hard. you're past that time in your life.

*OUCH! sole crushing*

hello, reality. i'm not a live-life-on-the-edge-21 year old anymore. i'm mid-ish 20s with a freggin' job and responsibilities and have been advised against a nose ring. poo.
i added another tale to the monster tales yesterday....


since i began the journey as an "adult woman with acne" at the dermatologist, i have had to visit them monthly for nearly a year. in fact, i see those face pickers more than i see my mom at this point. have you ever actually looked at the faces of those women who fancy themselves dermatologists and plastic surgeons? the are freakin' flawless. not an acne scar. nary a wrinkle. fresh, clean, non-makeuped faces. some of them however, have spent a little too much time in the lip plumping room. but, i do love my flawless women because my "adult acne" is in remission. yay-er.

anyway. over the past year, i have noticed these tiny little wrinkles beginning to set up shop around my eyes. Dude. wrinkles? really?

hello, age monster - thanks for visiting again.

they aren't too drastic, but they are definitely not going anywhere. so, i ask my derm yesterday if she thought that i should start some preventative maintenance. you know. because i don't really have wrinkles. they're actually just fine lines. right? fine lines. yes. she recommends several creams that are $100+ that are conveniently right there for purchase at the front counter on my way out. neat.

but, she doesn't say: silly, M - you're too young to worry about wrinkles. heck, those are just a figment of your imagination..... we'll talk in a few years.

heck no. you wanna know what she DID say?


there are those creams, but have you ever thought of getting botox.........................

BOTOX? really? i mean. i have thought about getting botox - in like 20 years!!!!!


here i sit - 26 and my derm is giving me the ins and outs of botox. when i just thought she'd say - slap some oil of olay on those eyes and we'll talk when you really have a problem. nope. she offered me botox - a few months shy of my 27th birthday.

uggg.
i didn't fall into submission and have my face paralized and formed into the constant surprised look, nor did i buy the fancy $100+ creams. because, they're just fine lines and i don't need such products....... yet. i'm going to settle with my over the counter drug store options and i'll let you know how that works out.

botox. really?
tails to be continued....

2 comments:

Jenn Wade said...

OMG I want a tiny nose ring so bad I can't stand it!! I might just break down and do it, even though my Dad said, and I quote, "I'd be embarrassed for my friends to see you with that in your nose." Nice. Thanks Dad. And my boss also made an interesting face when I mentioned it to him...although I think he's too nice (or scared of me?) to say anything :) Well, if you change your mind, 26 years young Mauri, let me know. ;)

Oh, confession - to temporarily, perhaps, satisfy this quarter-life craving to pierce something, I put my belly-button ring back in that has been out for the past 5 years!! That's right. And I'll be honest, it DOES NOT look the same as it used to. Ugh.

lindsay anne said...

get your nose pierced. i got mine done in December and I love it!