Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October - Think Pink



I know, thinking pink seems a bit like spring in this beautiful fall season that is knocking on our doors. I generally post more fun, light-hearted posts but October usually strikes a passionate cord with me. Not only is October my favorite time of year because the weather is changing and the leaves are turning brilliant shades of red and orange, but it's also Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Thankfully, I have not had any family or myself have to fight the struggles of breast cancer but several of my friends, family of friends and friends of friends have fought this battle and, I'm proud to say - have won!

This weekend is the Race for the Cure in Nashville. I, along with several friends, will be running in this race on Saturday and our donations will go to help support the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation. As I learned yesterday, this fantastic organization was formed in 1982 and has since raised over $1 billion for breast cancer research and awareness. I'm humbled by the organizer who founded this organization in memory of her sister who lost her battle to breast cancer. She's devoted her life to raising money to help fund research and awareness of this powerful cancer that affects so many women in the world.

My friend, Niki, has organized a team to run in the Knoxville Race for the Cure called "Saving Second Base." I thought the name was so clever and I loved it! I am not able to attend the Knoxville Race for the Cure but wanted to represent that team in the Nashville Race for the Cure.

I will be wearing a shirt that says, "Saving Second Base" on the front and on the back will read.....





Miss Lacey Wickline - 22, of Dumas, AR. Lacey is a lifelong friend of mine and graduated high school with my sister. She went to college at LSU in Baton Rogue, LA and found out she had breast cancer in her upper classman years. I'm proud to say that her breast cancer is in remission!! (she's in the middle)


Mrs. Mel Senna - 33, of Nashville, TN. This lovely lady is a dear friend of my dear friend Jessica. She worked with Jessica for quite some time until she was recently blessed with a new baby boy. She's now home with her pride and joy! I have yet to meet Mel but I feel like I know her because Jess talks about her so much - and, we're friends on myspace. Nonetheless, she fought and won her battle with breast cancer. I can't wait to meet her and her little man on Saturday at the race!!! (Mel with her new baby boy, Bryant)


Mrs. Tracy Tuck - 40ish, Loudon, TN - I met Tracy about 2 years ago. She and her family live in Loudon, TN. She is a close family friend with Niki Parris and is a strong woman. Tracy found out this past year that she has breast cancer. She's undergone and completed chemo therapy and is on the way to conquering this evil cancer. Tracy is in my prayers daily as she fights this battle - and she will win! Tracy is also a proud new grandmother! (photo is of Tracy and her new grandson, Bryson)


Mrs. Rita Cress - 50ish, Stuttgart, AR - Mrs. Rita is the mother of three of my sorority sisters from college. She was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago and has been a fighter in her quest against breast cancer. She's such a strong women and has three wonderful daughters who have been there and supported her through it all. (I don't have a photo of Mrs. Rita, but these are her 3 daughters who have been her rock and support)




So, on Saturday, I will be running in honor of these ladies lives and their story with breast cancer. I am so happy that they have all won or are in the process of winning their fight against breast cancer. My little run is nothing compared to what these ladies have had to endure and on Saturday - I salute you and applaud your life.

No comments: