Monday, May 5, 2008

I Run For the Party...

Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Here in Nashville, there are benefit walks, races, 5ks and 10ks nearly every weekend. The weekend of April 26th was the creme de la creme of races in Nashville - the Music City Marathon and 1/2 Marthon. No, I didn't run in the Marathon but my good friend, Jess Doss, completed the 1/2 Marthon in the cold and rain! I am so very proud of her and am thoroughly impressed!

Here's a photo of Miss Doss....

Well, most races are ran and sponsored for a cause. For example, "The Race for the Cure" is to raise money for breast cancer and there are many, many other races out there from Asthma to MS. There is a clever group that simply wanted to have a race for fun. These races are called "I Run For the Party!" http://www.irunfortheparty.com/ They have a Cinco de Mayo race, a race for the 4th of July and a Halloween race.

Kelly Kenney emailed me a few months back and said she was planning on ".....running for the party for cinco de mayo...." Instantly, I was intrigued. Since I've been on my new running/workout kick - I thought this sounded like an opportunity in which I needed to be involved. We picked up our raceday packet last Thursday and we were able to partake in some Cinco de Mayo themed beverages as a prelude to what we could expect on race day.

This past Saturday - we RAN FOR THE PARTY!! We showed up about an hour before race time to find music blaring, margaritas-a-plenty, keg trucks, and people adorned with chili peppers! They encourage participants to dress up for the run. (I did not dress up, however) Kelly and I had a blast! Sadly, Justin and I had some communication difficulties as to where we were going to meet so we didn't get after race pictures but, I finished in just over 30 minutes! I know it's no marathon - but, I am pretty proud of myself! Kelly and her dad are running in the 4th of July race and I think I'm going tag along :)

No comments: