Friday, April 3, 2009

God is Good (and not just because it's Friday)

I have been blessed with some incredible friends in my short little life. I have a handful of friends that I have met since I moved to Nashville that are as good as gold. (You know who you are) And, I know that they would do anything for me, as I would do anything for them. We have been there for each other through the highs of fun concerts to the lows of break-ups and family illness. I love you all with all of my heart.



There is another special group of girls that God has blessed me with and I'd like to share a short (ok, maybe long) story with my little blog world. As in my previous post - I have committed to sharing more than just a photo or two.


I have been hesitant to post anything on here about my dear friend Karin and her precious little 1 year old daughter Regan for fear of exposing something that was so personal. However, all is fine now and I'd like to share her story.

Karin was the first of my very close little circle of friends to have a baby! You may remember posts last year about the exciting birth of Miss Regan Baye into the world. We recently celebrated her 1 Year birthday on March 17th! (she'll love her bday in about oh - 20 years... hehee) We, our group, so eloquently have tagged ourselves as Auntie Mauri, Auntie Natalie, and Auntie Bobbi. We know we're not related. It's just fun.


Over the past year, Regan has brought so much joy to Karin and Chris - they are truly fantastic parents and I only hope (if I have kids) I'm half the parent that they have proven to be. They have been so gentle, concerned, caring, and self-less throughout her very short little life.
Regan does not know how lucky she is.



Karin lives in Marion, AR - near Memphis - and the rest of us are a few hundred miles away. We don't get to see them nearly as much as we like to. But, thanks to this beautiful thing they call the Internet and email - we've been able to share Regan's first year with Karin as much as we could.


I love getting email updates from everyone - somehow, we all still feel connected even if we don't see each other's faces or hear each other's voices as often as we would like. However, I'm learning that this is life as a grown up. People have their own lives, own agendas, and own families. We do the best we can.
I know groups of friends say they have "been through a lot together" but, I really feel that God has placed us in each other's lives to pray for each other, be a shoulder/phone call to cry on, or simply be there when we have a small personal victory.


And, we have been through a lot together.


This past year has not only brought times of happiness and tender moments for Karin and Chris, but a series of trials. Regan has such a sweet, sweet spirit and is just a ball of fire to be around. She loves being the center of attention (she gets this from all of her "Aunties"). But, she's had some health problems as well. Problems that the doctors couldn't quite figure out...


A few months ago, we got an email from Karin that seemed so strained and stressed. As nearly the only form of communication, you tend to learn the emotion behind the way the words are written. We could all tell that things weren't so healthy on the Thompson home front. Karin said that Regan was severely anemic, losing weight, and just felt down right crappy. (maybe not those exact words but, you know)


Well, that set the forces in action. We immediately started praying for Regan, the doctors, and for their family. No one wants their little baby to be sick. That's just unacceptable.


Over the span of a few weeks, Regan's health seemed to be deteriorating and the doctors had no answers. All the while, they kept poking that poor baby. I mean - I hate having my blood drawn. I cannot imagine how poor Regan must have felt. We began trying to make sense of all of her symptoms as the doctors were ruling out ideas left and right. They had nothing. She wasn't this - she wasn't that. She didn't have this - but she had these symptoms. After each doctor visit, she was more anemic than she was before, despite pumping her full of iron.


Then, Karin sent us an email that said they were send Regan to see an oncologist/hematologist for further tests.


My. Heart. Stopped.


Forget the hematologist part - all I read was oncologist. And, I don't have to spell it out. You know what that means. Regan might be sick.


We were a mess. Karin was a mess. Bless her heart. She was doing all she could to keep trucking and only had one agenda (obviously) - get Regan better. Karin is one of the smartest - ok, is the smartest - friend I have. She did her research and basically assisted the pediatricians in her care. **clap, clap** She was so strong throughout this whole process. But, the other 3 of us were a batty mess - calling each other daily to see if we'd heard anything, wracking Bobbi's nurse brain of what might be wrong, and praying.


With Karin and Regan being a hop, skip, and a jump from Memphis - the pediatricians made a referral to take Regan to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. Wait a second. Kids that go there are sick. St. Jude is - hands down - one of the most amazing hospitals around. The research and care that they give there is so advanced and progressive. It's phenomenal to me that a hospital of that magnitude is funded by donations and is nestled in the Mississippi Delta - in Karin's back yard. God is good.


We, as most people do, were thinking the absolute worst. But, we had faith that if anything was severely wrong, St. Jude's would be the best place in all of the world for "our" little Regan to go.


Meanwhile, Regan turned one! Karin proceeded with the birthday parties and celebrations as planned. We all went to visit and to give Karin - what we hoped - a little pat on the back, a much needed hug (for us more than her, probably), and some good friend time before the big St. Jude appointment. Let me tell you, though. After I left Regan cramming her face full of birthday cake, prancing around the room, rolling around on the floor showing out, and hugging her mommy - I knew that God was going to handle this. She could not be sick.


"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him." Romans 8:28


As I said earlier, Karin and Chris are amazing parents. They are both so strong and faithful. Their attitude about going to St. Jude was positive - they just wanted their little pride and joy healthy and happy. And, so did we.


From what I have gathered, Karin would like to take Regan to St. Jude for every sniffle, booster, rash, etc. from now on. The care that they received at St. Jude lived up to all of the hype.


And, SHE'S BETTER!!!! With a heart full of thankfulness, glee, relief, and praise - I'm so excited that Regan is on the uphill climb and is not sick. And, you want to know what? She's lactose intolerant, among a few other things, but - that's it! Viola! Babies drink milk.


Hello! Babies drink milk. That's it. No more St. Jude visits. And, NO MORE MILK. She'll have to get used to ordering her 10-word-long-soy latte in a few years. Done and done. Up until then, they had no idea she was having adverse problems to her FOOD. Basically, with all of the iron supplements they had been giving, she was already on the uphill climb when they went to St. Jude and figured out the problem! God is good.
Although this was so stressful and one of the scariest times we've had to endure, it brought us closer. Closer to each other and in prayer. I'm so thankful that Regan is going to be just fine and I have friends like these.

So, anytime you hear the heart wrenching radio-thons on your favorite radio station - don't turn the dial (like I have in the past) - but, listen and if you're able, donate.

And know that in tough times, God is still faithful and He does still answer prayers.
I love you girls with my whole heart and pray for you daily.


No comments: