Monday, January 12, 2009

NYE in Chicago!

My roommate from college, Aileen, is from Chicago but has been traveling the globe - literally - for the past 3 years. She's lived all over, from France to Australia to Greece and now she's living and teaching English in Spain. Aileen is my little gypsy and cannot be pinned down very long. The last time I got to spend time with her was in March '07, so when I got the news she was going to be in Chicago for the holidays - I promptly booked my flight.



Justin and I decided that not only would this be a good chance for me to get to visit with Aileen, but also a great little get-a-way for us. We could quite possibly have a new tradition of spending New Years Eve in a different place each year. We had an amazing time in Chicago playing tourist and getting to spend some time with Aileen.


We got there on New Years Eve all bundled up and headed to our hotel. I knew that we were on Michigan Ave. - aka Magnificent Mile - but had no idea how nice or amazing our location would be. We were smack dab in the middle of all of the shopping, touristy things, pubs, restaurants... the whole nine yards. Our location was great because we were able to go out of our hotel and were right there within walking distance to anywhere we wanted to go. We rang in the new year at Howl at the Moon piano bar, did some shopping - who couldn't?, ate Chicago style pizza and hot dogs, played tourist in the parks and museums and drank lots of coffee to stay warm!



We are so blessed that we are able to take little trips like these. It was a great few days to get away, doing something new, and get refreshed for another year and the spring semester!




Justin strapped all of our bags together - he's so handy!


Our first night in Chi-town!


This was the largest gingerbread house I have ever seen. It was HUGE! and in the lobby of our hotel.


I took this particularly for my Dad - they had cornhole in this Irish Pub! It was awesome!


Our first NYE - we had a blast!

Somewhere... we aquired some hats...
It was a bit small for Justin.... hahaa

In case you were wondering...Yes, I did have a blast!
I love you! Happy 2009!

What's Chicago without a little bit of shopping?!

When in Rome... I decided that since I was in the super cold Chicago, I wanted to be like everyone else (and give in) and finally buy a pair of UGG boots. I wanted gray ones.... well, everyone was sold out - this is my I'm-Sad-Because-I-Don't-Get-To-Buy-UGGs-Face.

But, after shopping all over - we finally found them at MACY'S!! YAY!

Justin made a friend outside of the Leggo store.

The John Hancock Building

Outside the John Hancock Building - such a festive tree!

Playing tourist on the viewing sky deck at the John Hancock Building

The view of the city from up there was amazing!

We got up there at the perfect time to see the sunset and the city at night.

And, what's a trip to Chicago without seeing the "cloud" at Millinium Park?

Hey, that's us :)

We also visited the Museum of Science and Industry - first museum I've toured in a long time. It was awesome!

View of the city from Navy Pier.

Playing in the Navy Pier Shops.

There she is! My favorite little roommate, liberal Democrat, South Side Chicago native, world travelin', French speaking, outspoken, fun lovin' Aileen :)

Our last night in fantasy land.

The original Farris Wheel.

And, last but certainly not least - we had the amazing Chicago style pizza! MMmmmm

And, now.... I'm itching to plan the next destination! :D

No comments: